Saturday, February 9, 2013

The New Discrimination

February is Black History Month, a time we celebrate and reflect on those who sacrificed their lives to make sure other generations have the right to sit where they wanted, become what they wanted, and vote for who they wanted.  The Civil Rights movement was born because people of color were tired of being treated like second class citizens. They were tired of the discrimination and they did something about it. Discrimination is described in the dictionary as prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discrimination>.

When it comes to the world of health care discrimination takes on a different meaning. Discrimination of those seeking quality health care goes something like this; the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discrimination>.

As an at home agent for a health care discount company, a huge part of my day is listening to people talk about their health care issues. I haven't been in the business long, but the stories are starting to sound the same already. Many of them either can't afford to purchase their own health care because the price is too high, can't afford the benefits their companies offer because doing so would take a huge portion of their paychecks, or can't afford health care because they are disqualified for preexisting conditions. I hear the latter on a daily basis. People who can't get insurance because of a preexisting condition is pure discrimination. Saying that a person doesn't qualify is the equivalent of saying a person isn't welcome in an organization because they aren't the right color. It's DISCRIMINATION!

I spoke to a person the other day. I will call her "Mary." Mary had gastric bypass surgery and lost over 140 pounds. Mary is healthier, doesn't need anymore medications, and has lowered her blood pressure. Mary told me she couldn't get health insurance because of the surgery that saved her life. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have any  information that would support or even justify why that company disqualified her. I just know in my heart it's wrong.

Mary was truly frustrated and I understood how she felt. I was diagnosed in late 2011 with congested heart failure. I have health insurance through my husband's job but when it came time to re-enroll for health and life benefits, my husband and I decided we wanted to increase our life insurance policy. We were turned down because of my health condition.

This country has fought about health care over the last four years more than any time I can remember. Whether you are for Obamacare or not, we cannot deny that it is something that needs to be handled. A person's value should not be hinged on their income or their personal health. Our neighbors in Canada seemed to have figured it out. I've watched film maker's Michael Moore film "Bowling for Columbine" quite a few times. I can't help to feel a little green with envy every I see the segment about health care. People can walk into a hospital or doctor's office, get treatment, and never have to worry about how they are going to pay that bill.

Here's a little extra for you in case you didn't know. Last April, the FHA made it possible for you to be declined an FHA loan if you have past due medical bills on your credit report. So now, first time home buyers can't buy a home if they have past due medical bills on their credit report.

Does this sound crazy to anyone?

I wish I had some kind of answer to all of this, but I don't. I imagine the leaders during the Civil Rights era didn't have all the answers either. They just knew something was wrong and something had to be done about it. It took a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, but they got the job done. The plans weren't elaborate either. The Montgomery Boycott that went on for over a year brought the busing company to their knees. Since they didn't want to give them the right to sit where they wanted, they decided not to sit at all. That simple act of defiance cost that industry millions and the bus company caved.

Imagine where health care would be if we decided to not purchase their expensive plans or put up with their thinly disguised rules. Actually that time is already here, it's called AmeriPlan. I'm not here to say AmeriPlan will solve all your problems, but it is a blessing to many who can't afford health coverage for their families and for those who can't get health care because of preexisting conditions. AmeriPlan is available in every state except Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming. We accept all preexisting conditions and have one set fee for your entire household. AmeriPlan has over 500,000 providers in their network. If your current provider does not participate in the plan, our corporate office can send information to your provider to get him/her connected.  For more information, check out my website.

Let's make history and show the big insurance companies that we deserve and can do better.

Bonnie is a Benefits Specialist with AmeriPlan. For more information about AmeriPlan and the healthcare packages visit her website at http://www.benefitsplus.com/bonnieannprice


5 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this you bring up some very valid points I hadn't paid attention too ~ healthcare is a discussion everyone should have ~ great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoyed your blog. Valid points and well addressed as well. Great work :)

    ReplyDelete